In our first Design/Build article So You Want To Build A Home, Jeffrey Rosen and I addressed the topics of house orientation, size, i.e. square footage, and architectural style. Today we discuss floor plans, including specific areas to take into account so the design works for you now and down the road.
For this phase of planning you’ll hear directly from the person who works on this very thing every day at Yankee Barn Homes. Jon Sevigny is our Senior Designer-Architectural Engineering, and as such has a few suggestions to bear in mind as you begin floor plans design.
• Stairs ! ! ! Always think about where the stair set will go. Do you want them on an inside or exterior wall? Will they be near the foyer/front door area of the home or somewhere else? Will basement stairs be located beneath them or will you use the space for storage?
• Views – Always be aware of them. If you’ve got them, make the most of them.
• Large Windows/Window Grouping– Consider using expansive glass facing south for passive solar design.
• Kitchen Location – Bringing in groceries may not be the first thing that comes to mind when planning your home, but it should be! Access to the kitchen should be quick and easy.
• Master Bedroom Location – First or second floor? Will it include a master bath suite?
More options for you to consider when creating your floor plans:
• Main Entry/Foyer
• Breakfast Room/Nook
• Formal Dining Room
• Great Room or Living Room
• Family Room
• Master Bath/Other Baths and Powder Room
• Storage/Closets/Built-In Bookcases
• Additional Rooms – Office, Laundry, Mudroom, Loft(s), Garage, Screened Porch, Exercise Room, In-Law Suite, Game Room and Garage Attic
“Building is a fast and easy process” said no one, ever. Knowing what to expect, and when, is a big stress reliever as you make your way through this most exciting and personal of life experiences. Have fun and enjoy the process, all while being in the know. We’re here to help you every step of the way!
To see more sample floor plans please visit our website or click this link.
If you would like more information about Yankee Barn Home options, you can explore our floor plan options, call and talk to one of our design consultants at 800-258-9786 or fill out this short online form.