Building a home can be daunting, particularly as most people have not previously built a home. Here is a step by step explanation for how you will advance through the design process with Yankee Barn Homes.
1. Speak with a Customer Care Agent
The role of a Yankee Barn Homes Customer Care Agent is to help you research our product and discuss any specific design goals and needs you may have. We welcome you to share any ideas or rough plans you might already have in mind.
- A Customer Care Agent will want to know what your estimated time frame for building is, if you own land and your allotted investment for your custom post and beam home.
- When it appears we will be a good fit for each other your YBH Team will provide more in depth construction information and review your design goals and plans.
- Consider your investment plan. Before beginning the design of your Yankee Barn home, determine the amount you plan to invest in your total building project. Your YBH Team will then be able to make design recommendations that are in line with your investment plan.
- Gather together examples of homes and rooms you would like to share with your YBH Team during the Design Meeting. You do not need to have all your design ideas figured out but a few ideas will help in the estimating process.
2. Begin Your Design Agreement
Work with your YBH Team to:
- Review and sign the Yankee Barn Homes Design Agreement, which states the scope of services you will receive from Yankee Barn Homes during the Design Process.
- Render you Design Fee. This is a $5,000 fee for residential or utility use. The entire fee is credited toward the total cost of your Yankee Barn Homes Shell Package should you choose to move forward.
- Work with your YBH Team to complete the Initial Design interview. Your team will ask you questions that will allow them to pull your ideas together into an inviting design of your custom home.
3. Schedule and Prepare For Your Design Process
The design process is perhaps the most critical stage of building a custom home. This process not only determines the aesthetic of your home, it also determines the flow of the floor plan and the level of investment required to build a home.
- Consider how you plan to use the rooms and spaces in your new home.Do you have dogs, cats, kids, or grand-kids to consider? Does anyone have special needs? Do you plan to host large family events at your house?
- Collect sample floor plans from www.yankeebarnhomes.com. make note of floor plans that have layouts similar to the floor plans you envision for yourself; it can be a helpful starting point.
- Browse the photo galleries on our website. Gather images representing design elements you like. Consider general architectural styles, kitchen and great room layouts, window styles, exterior siding types, etc. Other photos and magazine clippings are helpful, too.
4. Schematic Plans
Your Design Manager will work with your Design Team to incorporate your feedback into a set of Schematic Plans. Your Schematic Plans will be accompanied by:
- A Building Specification report that outlines the precise components to be included in you Yankee Barn homes Shell Package.
- A detailed estimate for your Yankee Barn Homes Shell Package.
Review your Schematic Plans and Building Specification with your Design manager. You will have the opportunity to make several revisions if needed.
5. Progress Plans
Your Design Manager will work with your Design Team to develop a set of detailed Progress Plans. Your Progress Plans will be accompanied by:
- A revised Building Specification report.
- The price quotation from your Yankee Barn Homes shell Package.
Review final changes to your progress Plans with you Design Manager. You will have the opportunity to request additional revisions to the plans if needed.
You have completed the Design Process. Your next step is to move on to the Construction process, initiated by reviewing and signing the Yankee Barn homes Construction Agreement. Your 20% Construction Down payment will reserve a production slot on Yankee Barn Homes’ production schedule, authorize your Design Team to develop the Construction Plans for your new Yankee Barn home Shell Package, and lock in your price quotation.